Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A Warrior

Tonight I saw history repeated. I saw a real warrior knocked down. In the final USWNT game before departing for China and the Olympics, Abby Wambach broke her leg while trying to score her 100th goal for the USWNT.

She managed to force a smile and showed amazing inner strength and fortitude while being treated on the field.

Sadly, I was in Washington, DC eight years ago when Chris Armas tore his acl on the RFK field less than a month prior to the Sydney Olympics. And tonight, at Torero Stadium in San Diego, I saw another Olympic dream crushed.

Chris was a warrior, too and I am sure that like the former US Men's captain, Abby will work harder than ever and get back up after tonight's crushing blow. It will simply have to wait until the WPS season.

Get well Abby!

No comments: